If you’re a pizza lover (who isn’t?) then you’re going to love this! You might not have heard about pizza cones – a fun new way to eat pizza and enjoy more toppings than a traditional ‘slice’. Pizza Cones are great fun for a family pizza night or parties! This recipe creates a more firm dough that holds up while baking. All you need is a pizza cone set, and this dough recipe to get started!
- 2 C. (plus 2 Tbsp.) all-purpose flour
- ½ C. (plus 2 Tbsp.) warm water (80°F)
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. instant yeast
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and instant yeast in mixing bowl. Add water and canola oil. Using the dough hook of an electric mixer, mix on low speed for 1-2 minutes, or until dough comes together. Increase speed to medium-high and continue to mix for another 4-6 minutes, or until the dough is elastic (approximately 8-10 minutes by hand).
- Apply a thin coat of oil to the dough’s exterior. Place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 45-60 minutes.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough to approximately 1/8” thickness. Press the dough cutter into the rolled dough. Use your finger to apply a thin coat of water or egg wash to the edge of the dough. Fold dough over so the edges meet and form a cone. Run the docker over the edge of the seam to close; repeat on other side of seam. Let the cone rest on the cutting board for 10-15 minutes. Repeat process for remaining cones.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. After dough has rested on the cutting board for 10-15 minutes, slip dough over the cone mould and bake for 6-7 minutes, or until outer crust is just beginning to brown. Remove cones from oven and cool for 2 minutes. Remove cone from mould and place into the pizza cone holder. Fill pizza cone as desired and return to the oven for another 8 minutes, or until fillings are warm and bubbling. Let pizza cone rest a few minutes before eating.
NOTE: Pizza cone ingredients will settle while baking in oven. For a fuller pizza cone, stuff ingredients to the brim of the cone before baking.
Recipe Courtesy of: